Skip to main content

Time to change Islands !


Firstly whilst I remember , let me say I only got one job application for the job I advertised.  I hired her on the spot. Excellent choice ! 


So somewhat reluctantly we head north again to Aomori which is at the top of Honshu and the ferry port to go north to Hokkaido ( to pronounce put a plum in your mouth and say “ Hock a dough “

We wind up the pretty coast and whiz past a town called Honcho. I wonder to myself if the local mayor is called the Head Honcho? 

Then I finally work out why the GPS keeps me off the expressway system. It is nothing to do with fastest time / shortest distance argument  . The official speed on the expressway is 70kph or sometimes 80kph. On the ordinary roads it is 50kph. But often the expressways bypass towns and takes  a longer route so on the time algorithms in the GPS the  expressways miss out on both a shortest time and shortest distance basis. But they are by far the quickest as they tend not to have traffic lights  I got up courage today and firmly over rode Elizabeth who resideth inside the GPS   She gave a hard time yelling “u torn” at me all the time. I squared my jaw. I dug in. I won. I have to say she was a lot more subdued today when I over rode her again 

 I hate to admit this but today we stopped at - it is hard to type - a Mc Donald’s.  . Only for the free wifi of course! There we met an aged Japanese hippy who was a cartoonist 




We push up north and find the ferry terminal at Aomori. .  The next ferry to Hokkaido leaves in 2 hours.  We grab it 




I ride the bike on board. But whoa,  I am not allowed to strap it down like on the New Zealand Interislander ferries. It gets strapped down for me  thank you very much.  




In the distance there is a familiar shape. It is the  Seabourn Sojourn on which we travelled thru the Suez canel 2 years ago. 




 
As we settle on board our new cruise boat  in our riding gear and sit  in our plastic chairs and eat our food from the self service machines with cheap plastic chopsticks one thinks wistfully  of the fine food and champagne being served just over the way on the Seabourn boat. I wipe the saliva from both sides of my chin with my cheap paper towelette. 

It is a three and a half hour trip to Hakodate at the bottom end of Hokkaido We arrive at 9,00pm. Riding the streets in the dark ( interesting ) we find our hotel. Another good day. 

So now today. We decide to head up to Sapporo - about 400 km away. Wow , the temperature drops from 28 deg C yesterday to 12 deg C today. The rice paddies have stopped and are replaced by arable and pastoral farming. With the rolling landscape and the trees it just look like rural Europe. So do the villages. And just to finish it off there are roadside warning  signs showing foxes, bears and deer jumping out of the roadside bushes on to the road. 

Talking of rice paddies, while I remember,  is the rice harvested from them in a paddy wagon ? That is what 7 hours on a bike does to you. 

We stop for petrol. Filling the bike is a serious task. It takes two - one just to hold the hose. I think they are Mexican brothers - Jose and Hose B ! 




We get close to Sapporo. The cherry trees are in full blossom. 




And thus we get to  Sapporo - Japans fifth biggest city. Population nearly two million. And it is as easy to ride into as Invercargill - well almost. Note to self - must have a Sapporo beer tonight ! 

Comments

Ken said…
Dear Richard. Your sense of punship has not improved. Hope you enjoyed your beer. You know I think we went to McDonalds once for coffee on the Americas trip? Ride safe.
Ken said…
How did you get your bike off the ferry? Did you have to back it out? Or is there a turning area up ahead?
Ken said…
For some reason I have become unknown!
Ken said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

The last post!

How do you summarise a motorbike trip around the world from Tokyo to Los Angeles?. With difficulty!   Well we are not into record setting. But we believe we are the oldest couple in the world to ride a motorbike “ two up” ie with pillion passenger, right round the world on one season  Let’s start  off with the statistics for the little trip  -                                                                    Total mileage.        34,416 km *                                                        No of days travelling        165                                                      No of countries visited       29                                                     Max temp on bike               41 deg C                                                     Min temp on bike                0 deg.C                                                          No of punctures.              One                                                          No of breakdowns.         One                 

Chapters 1 and 2

WHY MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURES ? I have always been interested in adventure. Over the years I have climbed mountains, parachuted, had my private pilots licence, dived, sailed and done various adventurous pursuits (with various degrees of success I might add!). Motorcycling has been one of the later activities. Why motorcycles?  Firstly it is all a bit easier on the body as one gets a little bit older. This is of course on the assumption that one does not inadvertently part company suddenly with said machine!  Secondly, it does also require a bit of brain power - intellect you might say if that does not sound snobby. There is also, to me, an element of "man and machine" about motorcycling. Then if that is not enough justification in itself there is  the scenery and the absorption into the landscape you are passing through. On a bike you see much much more than in a car, bus or train. You are aware of nuances in the landscape, you smell the smells and you become more than just

And a volcano stopped us!

What a day. First thing this morning it was off to check the rear tyre of the bike. Oh the relief !  The tyre was rock solid and the same pressure as after fixing yesterday.  So it is a pack up and first day on the road today. We get on the way with a just a little bit of nervous excitement.  On to the  Japanese motorway system we go. And what a delight. The traffic is orderly, calm not going to fast and not too thick. We track right in towards Tokyo itself before bearing West. Yes, there were lots of spaghetti junctions - It looks like The Los Angeles motorway system but it is so much easier (and slower). Japanese politeness really shows thru’. However there were lots of toll booths - we had chopped thru  about NZ$50 in the first hour and a half  Then we are on to the slow bit and off the motorways.  It was about a four hour stop and start crawl thru the urban sprawl of greater Tokyo. However I did find time for some serious reflection - I also saw a hotel called - and I kid you not