Skip to main content

And a volcano stopped us!


What a day. First thing this morning it was off to check the rear tyre of the bike. Oh the relief !  The tyre was rock solid and the same pressure as after fixing yesterday. 





So it is a pack up and first day on the road today. We get on the way with a just a little bit of nervous excitement. 

On to the  Japanese motorway system we go. And what a delight. The traffic is orderly, calm not going to fast and not too thick. We track right in towards Tokyo itself before bearing West. Yes, there were lots of spaghetti junctions -





It looks like The Los Angeles motorway system but it is so much easier (and slower). Japanese politeness really shows thru’.
However there were lots of toll booths - we had chopped thru  about NZ$50 in the first hour and a half 

Then we are on to the slow bit and off the motorways.  It was about a four hour stop and start crawl thru the urban sprawl of greater Tokyo. However I did find time for some serious reflection -









I also saw a hotel called - and I kid you not - “Hotel Seeds” Truly!  But I just have to say  this - it looked a bit seedy to me! 

At long last we are at the mountains and out of continuous suburbia. The road climbs and winds and passes thru’ tunnels 




I do have to say the the traffic light business is big business in Japan. Today we stopped at least 10,000 sets of trafiiic light And the yellow only lasts for about 5 seconds max. Even on the open road there are still traffic lights everywhere 

And the open road up into the mountains has a 50 km per hour speed restriction punctuated by frequent 40 km per hr stretches. No one speeds. No one passes. You just go with the flow and that is quite nice really. It is also very good for the blood pressure 

We climb into a ski area and pass thru a big ski town. Then the road winds up a  high hill. There is absolutely not a single car anywhere. The Redhead purrs with  delight as I throw her thru the twisters. 

Them Woops - we get stopped by a road barrier. We get handed a notice ( in English ) by the road men. The road is closed because of an erupting volcano ahead. Now, I have been stopped by many  things in my life but that is a first.





It means we cannot get to the hotel I pre-booked late yesterday. So it back down the road to a nice ski resort hotel. We check in.

Then it is off to the hotel  Onsen for the first time in my life. A little old lady shows me where to take my clothes off. I do so and put my robe on. Then she comes back and gestures me to rake off my robe in front of her. I double check. She is deadly serious! I take off my robe in front of her inscrutable gaze. . She hands me a modesty cloth the size of a small flannel. I bow and with it in front of me I bow and try to  backwards. But wait. She beckons me forward and gives me a razor. I am supposed to shave also. 

Then it is thru’ the doors to the pre wash (sounds like a car wash !!). There are windows above. I look up and see her looking down at me to check that I have not missed any parts, I guess. Then it is into the wonderful relaxing hot mineral water. Absolute bliss after a long day’s ride. I hop out, dress and wait for  Diana. But the little old lady  is not finished with me yet. She takes me to the hair room and shows me that I have to blow dry my hair. Well, that is not exactly a long process these days 

So here we are. A good first days start I think.


Comments

Ken said…
Great blog Dick. Most enjoyable. πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
Kerian said…
So well written. Can't wait for the next episode. Thanks.
Kerian said…
The sauna sounds very interesting

Popular posts from this blog

The last post!

How do you summarise a motorbike trip around the world from Tokyo to Los Angeles?. With difficulty!   Well we are not into record setting. But we believe we are the oldest couple in the world to ride a motorbike “ two up” ie with pillion passenger, right round the world on one season  Let’s start  off with the statistics for the little trip  -                                                                    Total mileage.        34,416 km *                                                        No of days travelling        165                                                      No of countries visited       29                                                     Max temp on bike               41 deg C                                                     Min temp on bike                0 deg.C                                                          No of punctures.              One                                                          No of breakdowns.         One                 

Chapters 1 and 2

WHY MOTORCYCLE ADVENTURES ? I have always been interested in adventure. Over the years I have climbed mountains, parachuted, had my private pilots licence, dived, sailed and done various adventurous pursuits (with various degrees of success I might add!). Motorcycling has been one of the later activities. Why motorcycles?  Firstly it is all a bit easier on the body as one gets a little bit older. This is of course on the assumption that one does not inadvertently part company suddenly with said machine!  Secondly, it does also require a bit of brain power - intellect you might say if that does not sound snobby. There is also, to me, an element of "man and machine" about motorcycling. Then if that is not enough justification in itself there is  the scenery and the absorption into the landscape you are passing through. On a bike you see much much more than in a car, bus or train. You are aware of nuances in the landscape, you smell the smells and you become more than just